Homeowners and renters may be missing out on millions of dollars in tax relief. AARP Foundation Property Tax-Aide is a free program that helps eligible homeowners and renters apply for property tax relief.
New York Program Overview
We’re sorry, we’re unable to provide assistance at this time. Keep reading to learn more about eligibility requirements and deadlines for property tax refunds and credits in your state. You can find more resources here.
New York State offers the Real Property Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters.
Real Property Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters
You are entitled to the refundable Real Property Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters credit if:
- Your household gross income is $18,000 or less
- You occupied the same New York residence for six months or more
- You were a New York State resident for the entire tax year
- You could not be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal income tax return
- Your residence was not completely exempted from real property taxes
The current market value of all real property you owned, such as houses, garages, and land, was $85,000 or less, and you meet all the conditions listed under either Homeowners or Renters below:
You or your spouse paid real property taxes
Any rent you received for nonresidential use of your residence was 20% or less of the total rent you received
The average monthly rent you and other members of your household paid was $450 or less, not counting charges for heat, gas, electricity, furnishings, or board
File your 2021 claim after January 1, 2022, but not later than April 15, 2025.
You can receive a Real Property Tax Credit refund for past years if you complete and file for the year or years that you were eligible before these dates:
Year Last date to file:
- 2018 April 15, 2022
- 2019 July 17, 2023
- 2020 May 17, 2024
New York State Personal Income Tax Return (IT-201)
- Use the instructions for the federal forms to calculate your federal adjusted gross income, taking into consideration Line 19a on IT-201 and IT-203 instead of Line 19
- Claim for Real Property Tax Credit Form IT-214
- Real property taxes paid are all current, prior, and prepaid real property taxes, special ad valorem levies and assessments levied upon residence owned or previously owned by the qualified taxpayer (or spouse, if spouse occupied the residence for at least six months) have been paid during the tax year
Would you like to see programs in a different state?