Skip to Content

New York-NYC

Program Overview

The Senior Citizen Homeowners’ Exemption (SCHE) is a property tax break for seniors who own one-, two-, or three-family homes, condominiums, or cooperative apartments. The SCHE benefit is available to property owners who are 65+ with an annual income of $58,399 or less.
Property Tax-Aide Application Season Is Closed

Click the icons to reveal more information about each program. Click again to hide it.



  • All owners of the property must be 65 or older, unless the owners are spouses or siblings. If you own the property with a spouse or sibling, only one of you must meet this age requirement
  • The total combined annual income of the property owner and spouse or co-owner cannot exceed $58,399. Income includes, but is not limited to, Social Security, retirement benefits, interest, dividends, IRA earnings, capital gains, net rental income, salary or wages, and net income from self-employment
  • You must own the property for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the date of filing for the exemption, unless you received the exemption on your previously-owned residence
  • All owners must occupy the property as their primary residence except in cases of divorce, legal separation, or abandonment. Owners receiving in-patient care at a residential health care facility may be eligible for the exemption

Application Deadline

The deadline to apply for SCHE for the current tax year is March 15. (If March 15 falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the next business day.) You must renew your Senior Citizen Homeowners’ Exemption every two years in order to continue receiving it. You will receive a notice from the Department of Finance when it is time to file your renewal application.

Required Documentation

  • SCHE Exemption Application
  • Proof of Age
  • Proof of Income
  • Additional documents may be required if the property is held in trust, was willed to the owner, if the owner listed on the deed is deceased, if the owner is living full-time at an assisted living facility, if the owner listed on the deed is living elsewhere, or if the owner listed on the deed owns additional properties in New York or elsewhere.

Where to Get Help Near You

Unfortunately none of our partner organizations are available at this time.

Please check back for openings in their schedule. You can also learn more about tax relief programs from your state’s Department of Revenue or Department of Taxation.

Back to top