Homeowners and renters are missing out on millions of dollars in tax relief. Use the resources below to learn more.
Hawaii Program Overview
In Hawaii, unlike most states, property taxes are totally controlled by the four major counties, Honolulu, Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii. Property Tax-Aide features one property tax relief program available in each county that has additional benefits for older homeowners.
Basic and Elderly Home Exemption
- Each county requires that the property must be the homeowner’s principal residence and not have any other home or home exemption in any other jurisdiction.
- Each county sets the minimum number of days that the home has been occupied as the principal residence.
- Counties may require proof that Hawaii state income tax return has been filed as a full-time resident
- Ownership of the property must be registered with the state Bureau of Conveyance.
- Long-term renters who pay property taxes as part of their lease may be entitled to exemption. The term of the lease varies by county, i.e., Honolulu is five years; Kauia is 15 years and more.
- Each county requires a minimum property tax to be paid.
Initial application is sufficient if no change in residency. Increases in exemption based on age will be automatic. Each county has own deadline for filing application for the next tax year beginning on July 1.
- Honolulu: September 30
- Maui: December 31
- Kauai: September 30
- Hawaii: December 31
- Ownership of the property has been registered with Bureau of Conveyance, State Department of Land and Natural Resources.
- Proof of age, such as: Driver’s License ,Passport, Birth Certificate
- Proof of occupancy, such as: Filing of an income tax return as a resident of the State of Hawaii or have requested a waiver from this requirement for approved reasons, like income falls below the filing threshold. or Voter registration records in the city
The exemptions are processed by each county’s assessment division. Honolulu and Maui allow for electronic filing. Please visit your county’s website or call your county’s assessment division to learn more.
County of Hawaii
Hilo phone: (808) 961-8201
Kailua Kona phone: (808) 323-4880
City and County of Honolulu
Honolulu phone: (808) 768-3799
Kapolei: (808) 768-3799
County of Maui
Property Tax-Aide has independently selected the property tax relief programs featured on this website that we think are the most relevant and beneficial to older adults. It is not an exhaustive list of all property tax relief programs available in each state. Please consult your local tax agency for a comprehensive listing of property tax relief programs in your area.