Homeowners and renters may be missing out on millions of dollars in tax relief. AARP Foundation Property Tax-Aide is a free program that helps eligible homeowners and renters apply for property tax relief.
Colorado Program Overview
Many Coloradans may be eligible for the Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit rebate, also known as the “PTC Rebate,” which is available every year. It has been available to Colorado residents since 1971.
You may be eligible if you:
- Resided in Colorado the entire year
- Are lawfully present in the United States. Persons who are 18 years of age or older and are applying for a public benefit such as PTC must prove lawful presence in the United States
- Are a single person with total income of less than $15,831 or a married couple with total combined income of less than $21,381
- At least 65 years old or a surviving spouse at least 58 years old
- Were disabled for all of 2021, regardless of age, and received benefits for the full year
- Are not claimed as a dependent on any other person's federal income tax return
You have two years after the end of a calendar year to apply for the PTC rebate. The deadline for filing your application for calendar year 2021 is December 31, 2023.
- Total gross income received
- Homeowners: Total amount of property tax paid
- Renters: Total rent paid and total heat/fuel expense paid if not included in your rent payment
- If disabled, disability statement (less than 90 days old)
- List of all the places you lived — and the dates you lived there — throughout the year.
- Driver’s license or ID number and expiration date. The Department might request additional proof of Colorado residency if your license or ID was not valid for the full year.
- Colorado residents who do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) can apply for an alternative identification (ID) from the Colorado Department of Revenue using Form DR 0019.
- First-time filers must provide proof of full-year Colorado residency.
- If you did not hold your Colorado driver’s license or ID card from January 1–December 31, 2021, you must attach a copy of your lease or rental agreement.
- Make sure you submit all 3 pages of your application, plus affidavit or your rebate will be delayed or denied.
We are grateful for all our Property Tax-Aide partners in Colorado:
- Silver Key Senior Services
We can help you search for other tax-related resources near you.Find Resources
You will go to the website of a trusted partner organization. The partner's terms, conditions and policies apply.