Homeowners and renters may be missing out on millions of dollars in tax relief. AARP Foundation Property Tax-Aide is a free program that helps eligible homeowners and renters apply for property tax relief. Use the Apply Now button below to apply for property tax relief today!
Colorado Program Overview
Many Coloradans may be eligible for the Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit rebate, also known as the “PTC Rebate,” which is available every year. It has been available to Colorado residents since 1971.
You may be eligible if you:
- Resided in Colorado the entire year
- Are lawfully present in the United States. Persons who are 18 years of age or older and are applying for a public benefit such as PTC must prove lawful presence in the United States
- Are a single person with total income of less than $15,831 or a married couple with total combined income of less than $21,381
- At least 65 years old or a surviving spouse at least 58 years old
- Were disabled for all of 2021, regardless of age, and received benefits for the full year
- Are not claimed as a dependent on any other person's federal income tax return
You have two years after the end of a calendar year to apply for the PTC rebate. The deadline for filing your application for calendar year 2021 is December 31, 2023.
- Total gross income received
- Homeowners: Total amount of property tax paid
- Renters: Total rent paid and total heat/fuel expense paid if not included in your rent payment
- If disabled, disability statement (less than 90 days old)
- List of all the places you lived — and the dates you lived there — throughout the year.
- Driver’s license or ID number and expiration date. The Department might request additional proof of Colorado residency if your license or ID was not valid for the full year.
- Colorado residents who do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) can apply for an alternative identification (ID) from the Colorado Department of Revenue using Form DR 0019.
- First-time filers must provide proof of full-year Colorado residency.
- If you did not hold your Colorado driver’s license or ID card from January 1–December 31, 2021, you must attach a copy of your lease or rental agreement.
- Make sure you submit all 3 pages of your application, plus affidavit or your rebate will be delayed or denied.
Your state accepts digital and mailed applications
We are grateful for all our Property Tax-Aide partners in Colorado:
- Silver Key Senior Services
We can help you search for other tax-related resources near you.Find Resources
You will go to the website of a trusted partner organization. The partner's terms, conditions and policies apply.