Guide to Using the AARP Foundation Property Tax-Aide Self Service Site
How to Use Our Self-Service Tool to Apply for the Missouri Property Tax Credit Claim
The AARP Foundation Property Tax-Aide self-service tool has been designed to simplify state property tax relief applications. By using the tool, you will be able to easily verify if you qualify for the Property Tax Credit Claim in Missouri and then complete the application. Upon completion of the application, you can download and/or print the application with the information you have entered. Then, mail the application to the Missouri Department of Revenue.
What Do You Need Before You Begin an Application
Before you begin, there are a few documents and pieces of information you’ll need to have on hand in order to complete your application:
- If you qualify based on age, 100% disability, or a surviving spouse receiving social security benefits, you will need form SSA-1099 from the Social Security Administration
- If you qualify as a disabled veteran, you will need a letter from the Veterans Administration detailing the amount of benefits or confirming the disability is 100 percent from military service
- Any documents that report your income, such as a SSA-1099, RRB-1099 (Tier I) and RRB-1099-R (Tier II), W-2, 1099, 1099-G, 1099-R, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC
- Homeowners should include a copy of paid real estate tax receipt and, if needed, Assessor Certification Form 948
- Renters should include Certification of Rent Paid (MO-CRP) and a Verification of Rent Paid (MO-5674) completed by their landlord
- A letter from the Social Security Administration that includes the total amount of assistance received if applicable
- If you are applying for a deceased claimant, you will need to include copies of the Power of Attorney or Federal Form 1310, as well as the death certificate
Important! You’ll Need to Complete Your Application in One Session
Please note that your PTC application will not be saved. If you start an application, you will need to finish it in the same session. Otherwise, you will need to start over from the beginning.
What to Expect When Using The Self-Service Tool
Before starting the application, you will be asked to complete a brief demographics survey. This information will help us understand who participates and who does not participate in our programs so we may improve AARP Foundation Property Tax-Aide’s programs and outreach activities. We do not maintain your name or address information in our database, so none of your answers will be linked to your name or address. Whether or not you answer these questions will have no effect on your participation in Property Tax-Aide or any other AARP Foundation program. We would appreciate it if you would answer all of the questions to the best of your ability. However, you are free to select “Prefer not to answer” for any questions you do not want to answer.
Below is a step-by-step guide that you can refer to as you use the self-service tool:
Step 1: Click the link at the bottom of the page to redirect to the self-service tool
Step 2: Review and complete the consent form. Enter your name and check the first box to provide consent. (It is optional to check the second box to receive information about other services from AARP Foundation. If you do check the second box, you’ll be asked to provide an email address.) Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Next.
Step 3: Read the demographic survey instructions and click Next.
Step 4: Complete the brief demographics survey. When you have answered all the questions, click Next at the bottom of the screen.
Step 5: You’ll answer some questions to determine if you meet the eligibility criteria for the PTC program. When you’re done, a pop-up box will appear letting you know, based on your answers, if you may or may not meet the eligibility criteria. If the pop-up box suggests that you may meet the eligibility criteria, click the continue button to advance to the application.
Step 6: Enter your information into the fields on the screen, then click Review
Step 7: Review to ensure that the information you entered is correct. If you need to make a change, you can do so directly on the screen. When you have completed your review, check the box and then print or download your application.
Step 8: Sign the application and mail it to the Missouri Department of Revenue, along with copies of the required documents.