New York Program Eligibility
Property Tax-Aide features Real Property Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters, The School Tax Relief (STAR) program, and Senior Citizen Homeowners’ Exemption (SCHE) in New York State.
The information on this page is updated as new information becomes available by the relevant tax agencies.
Real Property Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters
File your 2022 claim after January 1, 2023, but not later than April 15, 2026.
You can receive a Real Property Tax Credit refund for past years if you complete and file for the year or years that you were eligible before these dates:
- You have until May 17, 2024, to file your claim for the 2020 tax year
- You have until April 15, 2025, to file your claim for the 2021 tax year
The School Tax Relief (STAR) – Enhanced Exemption
You must file the Enhanced STAR application (Form RP-425-E) and proof of income, proof of age, and Form RP-425-IVP with your local assessor on or before the applicable taxable status date, which is generally March 1.
- In the village of Bronxville, it is January 1
- In Nassau County, it is January 2;
- In Westchester towns, it may be either May 1 or June 1
- In cities, check with your assessor.
The School Tax Relief (STAR) Program – Basic and Enhanced
You should register for the STAR Credit as soon as your home becomes your primary residence. Once you are registered you do not need to register again unless there has been a change in the ownership of the property.
After becoming a STAR Credit recipient, you’ll automatically be upgraded to Enhanced STAR once you’ve become eligible.
NYC Senior Citizen Homeowner’s Exemption (SCHE)
You must renew your Senior Citizen Homeowners’ Exemption every two years in order to continue receiving it. You will receive a notice from the Department of Finance when it is time to file your renewal application.
Applications that are received after the filing deadline will be processed for July of the following year.
2024/2025 Tax Year
The deadline to apply or renew for the 2024/2025 tax year is March 15, 2024.
- If you’re eligible for an exemption and your 2024/2025 application was postmarked or submitted on or before the deadline, you’ll start receiving benefits on July 1, 2024.
- If you’re eligible for an exemption and your 2024/2025 application was postmarked or submitted after the deadline, you’ll start receiving benefits on July 1, 2025.
Property Tax-Aide has independently selected the property tax relief programs featured on this website that we think are the most relevant and beneficial to older adults. It is not an exhaustive list of all property tax relief programs available in each state. Please consult your local tax agency for a comprehensive listing of property tax relief programs in your area.