Skip to Content

Montana Program Eligibility

Property Tax-Aide features the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit (Circuit Breaker) and the Property Tax Assistance Program (PTAP).

The information on this page is updated as new information becomes available by the relevant tax agencies.

Elderly Homeowner / Renter Credit

The program provides a refundable credit for individuals 62 or older for a portion of their property taxes or rent paid in relation to their income. Property taxes are assumed to be 15% of rent payments. The maximum credit granted may not exceed $1,150.

Application Deadline

The due date for filing a Montana income tax return is extended to April 15, 2024.

Property Tax Assistance Program (PTAP)

The Property Tax Assistance Program helps citizens on a fixed or limited income by reducing the property tax rate on their home. The PTAP benefit only applies to the first $350,000 of your primary residence’s market value. Your income and marriage status determine the reduction. For those in the lowest income bracket, up to $13,590 if single or $18,310 if married or filing as head of household, taxes are reduced 80%. Those with income between $18,581 and $27,621, if single, or $27,668 and $37,019 if married or filing as head of household, the reduction is 30%. For those in between these two brackets, the reduction is 50%.

Application Deadline

  • Application must be delivered or postmarked by June 1, 2024. If you miss the deadline, apply as soon as possible to ensure you are included in the program’s verification process for the following tax year.
  • Once you have applied for the program, the state will notify you each year whether you qualify. You will be included in the program’s annual income verification until you move from residence.

Property Tax-Aide has independently selected the property tax relief programs featured on this website that we think are the most relevant and beneficial to older adults. It is not an exhaustive list of all property tax relief programs available in each state. Please consult your local tax agency for a comprehensive listing of property tax relief programs in your area.

Back to top