California Program Eligibility
Property Tax-Aide features two California property tax relief programs: Property Tax Postponement, available for older residents, and Homeowner’s Property Tax Exemption, available to all homeowners. In addition, local charges or assessments may appear on a homeowner’s tax bill for special purpose. In some cases, seniors may be exempt from these charges.
The information on this page is updated as new information becomes available by the relevant tax agencies.
Property Tax Postponement
- Annual applications are required and are available September 2023, to be filed between October 1, 2023 and February 10, 2024.
- Contact the PTP team in the State Controller’s Office at (800) 952-2661 to have an application mailed to you.
- Funding is limited and distributed on a first come, first served basis. Due to funding limitations, all who qualify may not be approved.
Homeowner’s Property Tax Exemption
- Application can be filed anytime
- Applications, if filed no later than February 15, will receive the full exemption for the year.
- Please note that several counties automatically mail the exemption pre-filled form to new owners of a single-family residential property.
Base Year Value Transfer for Homeowners at least Age 55 or Disabled (Proposition 19)
- To qualify for the base year value transfer, the claim must be filed with the County Assessor within three years of the date you purchased the replacement property.
- The base year value transfer is still available for claims filed after the three-year period, however, the transfer will be granted beginning with the year that the claim is filed.
Exemptions from Special Assessments and Direct Levies
Property Tax-Aide has independently selected the property tax relief programs featured on this website that we think are the most relevant and beneficial to older adults. It is not an exhaustive list of all property tax relief programs available in each state. Please consult your local tax agency for a comprehensive listing of property tax relief programs in your area.